Friday, October 28, 2011

A Taste of Stand Up Paddling on White Water

All set for after work with two boards on the car I rushed back from our Level 1 coach course and head for Mile End Mill with Ant, probably the UK's only white water Stand Up Paddling Expert, fresh from paddling Low Force Ant was going to introduce me to this new white water sport.

 For those of you who know Mile End Mill, we started on the nursery slope by the buildings, Ant teaching me to switch feet at the right moments. You carry your weight on the back foot and trim with the front foot, switching where you want to change edge. The boards respond well to edging and weight shifts.

We ran the middle stopper a couple of times then ran the bottom drop with Ant surfing the wave half way down in good style. After an hour or so on the water and several surf/swims in the bottom hole we headed back to the car park before I was too tired to carry the board. It's very physical and hard work on your core, but on the way back up I started driving with my legs, which will make it easier next time, yes there will be a next time I am sure.

But before that Ant will have me out in a pink Jackson Star, introducing me to freestyle in the modern sense. The last event I entered was a Hurley Rodeo, I got through to the second round with a reverse surf in a borrowed rotobat, some 20 years ago, so I think things may have changed.

To find out more about Stand Up Paddling and video of Ant landing Low Force visit Ant's Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment